Year 4 have been discussing stereotypes this afternoon. Katie correctly identified a stereotype as assuming that some people like something but it is not always true. Kezi then added to this saying that it is presuming something about someone because of the way that they look.
I then asked the class what they thought of the following statement: ‘Chocolate makes us fat and it is bad for you’. This is what they had to say…
• I think that it is actually quite rude and some chocolate can be better for you than others (Mohammed)
• I disagree because I eat chocolate everyday and I am fine but it is bad for you because it is full of sugar (Brooke Ba)
• It is ok to eat chocolate sometimes but not all of the time because then it can become very unhealthy (Sophia)
• Lots of people gain weight through eating chocolate all day because it can be quite addictive because its full of sugar and it tastes good (Evie)
• It is offensive because some people can’t always help what they look like (Ruby L)
To sum the discussion up we decided that stereotyping is not good because it can be very offensive and it is only opinions that people have rather than facts.