In Geography we went into the hall for an interactive lesson using our special map. We talked about contour lines – these are lines that show high and low areas of land measured in metres above sea level and also the use of colour on a map to show terrain.
We recapped our knowledge of continents around the world and explored where famous mountain ranges were located.
Some well-known mountain ranges in the world include:
- the Himalayas हिमालय (Snow Mountains) in Asia, the tallest mountain range in the world
- the Andes in South America, the longest range on land in the world
- the Alps in Europe
- the Urals, a natural border between Europe and Asia
- the Rocky Mountains, the longest range in North America
- the Atlas mountains in North Africa
- the Mountains of heaven (TianShan)天山 in China.
Did you know Mount Everest is also known as the Holy Mother? The Tibetan name for Everest is Qomolangma (ཇོ་མོ་གླང་མ, lit. “Holy Mother”), In Chinese it is written as 珠穆朗玛峰. In the early 1960s, the Nepali government coined the Nepali name Sagarmāthā (सगर-माथा), meaning. “goddess of the sky”